What’s your role with SHEMESH and what does it look like now?
As the Reading Specialist for Kindergarten students at Bais Yaakov, I’ve since been making weekly LOOM videos and learning packets for my students.
What’s your favorite part of working for SHEMESH?
The SHEMESH team shares excellent, professional resources, tips, and ideas with each other. It is clear that we want the best for all students, not just the students in the schools where we work.
What practical suggestions do you have for parents now? (adapted from ReadingRockets.org)
- Point out print everywhere: cereal boxes, toys, shop and traffic signs
- Sing songs, recite short poems/nursery rhymes, & play rhyming games
- Encourage older children to read with younger children
- Encourage your child to read (or pretend read) to you and make it enjoyable. Applaud your child’s efforts to read even if they can’t read correctly.
- Let your child see you reading & keep books/magazines/newspapers around
- Encourage your child to write messages such as grocery lists, to-do lists, postcards, or short messages to family members/friends. Don’t worry about conventional spelling,but encourage your child’s first efforts at authorship.